Sunday, October 18, 2009

Sunday Lunch

I have a confession to make. I LOVE Hamburger Helper. When I was in college I used to make this delightful dish as often as possible. It didn't matter what variety - Cheeseburger Macaroni, Lasagna, Chili Macaroni - you name it. They were all delicious. I could even make it blindfolded (Trust me...it's been proven.).

I could probably eat HH every day if I didn't have to please my husband's palate as well as mine. Not to mention the fact these delightful little meals in a box are not the most healthy thing on the planet.

So in my never ending quest to find something new I found a recipe for Skillet Beef & Mac on the Campbell's Soup website. I tweaked the recipe slightly to give it a different flavor and to remove some of the extra fat. We loved it! This recipe has all the flavor and less of the sodium and preservatives of the real stuff. So if you find yourself craving the deliciousness of HH give this recipe a whirl instead. Enjoy!
______________________

Skillet Beef & Mac

1 lb ground turkey
1 small onion, finel chopped
1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
1/2 tbsp minced garlic
1 can (10.75 oz) low sodium tomato soup
1/4 cup water
3 cups elbow macaroni, cooked as directed on package
1/4 cup low fat grated parmesan cheese
1/2 cup low fat shredded mozzarella cheese
Salt to taste

Directions:

In a skillet cook turkey, onion and Italian seasoning over medium-high heat until turkey is browned. Drain. Add garlic and saute for 1 minute.

Stir in soup and water and heat to a boil. Reduce heat to low. Cover and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in cooked pasta and parmesan. Cook until mixture is hot and bubbly. Top with mozzarella before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment